HIPAA compliance is an issue you need to take seriously. In fact, not storing your data in a HIPAA compliant database – when you handle PHI – is a crime punishable by law.
It doesn’t matter if you handle the data directly because your business falls under “covered entities,” or you do so indirectly because you are a “business associate.” You need to meet all HIPAA database compliance requirements.
But, we have good news for you. You don’t have to worry at all if your database isn’t compliant. Because we, here at Kohezion, can help you build your own HIPAA compliant cloud database.
Yes, we’ll get to that part. But, let’s clarify some points first.
What is HIPAA?
HIPAA is an acronym for the “Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.” It is an Act that Congress passed in 1996.
A few of the main reasons for the passing of the Act include:
- Modernizing the PHI flow: revamping the way health care information is stored, shared, and utilized.
- Laying out PHI security ground rules: ensuring the protection of data maintained by the health industry from fraud and theft.
- Addressing constraints in healthcare insurance coverage: making sure workers and their families are always covered. It applies even though they may be employed, unemployed, or between jobs at the time.
Overall, HIPAA is meant to protect patient’s privacy by stating the essential requirements for the secure storage and access of their health data.
Ok… but, what is PHI?
PHI stands for “Personal Health Information.” It covers data on the health status, received healthcare, payments made for treatments, or any related data that you can trace back to an individual patient.
Examples of such data include names, financial information, contact details (digital or otherwise), account numbers, and biometric or identifying media files.
How can Kohezion help with HIPAA compliant database software?
Luckily for you, Kohezion and HIPAA compliance go hand-in-hand. This is because of:
- Low-code development. Anyone, including the citizen developer in the office, can create a HIPAA compliant database using our Kohezion database design platform.
- Easy collaboration. With a cloud database in place, your data will seamlessly and securely flow between your business’ data silos. It allows for a smoother interdepartmental workflow.
- A cost-effective option. You won’t need to pay through the nose for someone to come around and set it all up for you.
- Financially feasible. You will cut IT overhead and budget costs saving you even more.
- No more worries. Your databases, and the data in them, are cared for by professionals. Powerful servers also back them up to ensure the security of protected health information.
- Smooth transition. Moving your data to the new HIPAA compliant database takes mere minutes when using Kohezion’s spreadsheet import feature.
Kohezion offers a turnkey solution to build your HIPAA compliant database software. HIPAA security and compliant cloud storage services for healthcare organizations and healthcare providers.
Kohezion helps you meet HIPAA database requirements
Now, apart from transforming the way you store your data, Kohezion can also help you meet HIPAA compliant cloud database requirements.
So, let’s have a look at what these requirements are and also see how Kohezion and HIPAA compliance are a perfect fit:
Requirement 1: Confidentiality – only people with proper authorization should see the data
This makes sense since no one, except the data owner and authorized people, should be able to see the data.
The PHI should be kept in a secure place that is only accessible with the proper authorization. Also, you would want the data to be unusable in case it gets intercepted or stolen.
Cloud databases you build with Kohezion’s design platform are secure. They have role and privilege administration systems that prevent unauthorized access. For example, you can group Users with the exact access requirements to User Groups and gain easier permission management.
Finally, encryption of data – at rest, in motion, and use – adds an extra security layer. This makes it decipherable only to users and systems with the proper security clearance.
Requirement 2: Availability – the PHI should always be available
PHI should be made available around the clock to whoever might require it – including the patients themselves. The best way to do this is by storing it on a dedicated server. It will ensure its security and avoid sharing resources with other databases.
With Kohezion’s development tool, you can create a private online cloud database. That way, you get to have secure access from anywhere, at any given time.
Requirement 3: Integrity – the data should not be changed intentionally or otherwise
Whether it is outsiders trying to alter data to favor their requirements or an authorized user on the inside making a mistake and changing the data unintentionally, a HIPAA compliant database should be able to maintain its integrity.
Then again, should the integrity be compromised, there also needs to be a reliable backup process that can fix the mistake in the shortest possible amount of time.
Kohezion helps you build input and output forms that prevent erroneous data captures while also presenting data in the correct, required format. And as mentioned earlier, our backups are done using powerful servers.
And so, you can see that by using Kohezion, you get to meet all the secure database requirements. This, in turn, clears the path for your business to own a HIPAA compliant cloud database.
There’s more from Kohezion and HIPAA compliance database software
Finally, although the Kohezion online database software platform is easy to use, it doesn’t mean you have to develop your HIPAA compliant database on your own.
We have experts adept at designing databases for medical research. They are experienced in developing turnkey solutions in many other fields and can help create your online database.
We can help you navigate the process – from design to launch phases.
Simply contact us for more information.