Last updated on October 13th, 2023 at 09:34 am
Web application software solutions play an integral part in our day-to-day life. Although we may not realize it, every single one of us today relies on at least one such solution. The applications that we routinely use – whether it is to find a date or collaborate on a project – help us resolve issues that would have been impossible to tackle just over a decade ago.
Thanks to online database software, we can now read and write data using our devices’ browsers and analyze the information that is stored in remote servers without giving it a second thought.
What is web application software?
To define this term, let us break it down:
- Web: indicates that it is to be run, or will be based, in the cloud where everyone can connect to it with ease using a browser
- Application: meaning it is a bundle of code that was written to achieve a specific purpose or perform a specific task
- Software: well, this is just to explain that is a digital entity
The definition now becomes –
A web application software solution is a software program that was written to be accessed via a browser and is run on the internet or in the cloud.
The software may or may not have data storage capabilities in the background as it will depend on the function of the application. But, if it does, the architecture would look like:
Using this architecture, and drilling down a bit further, we would come to realize that the best example of a web application would be a custom database application – one that we would design to meet our specific requirements.
What is a custom database application?
Here too, we would need to have a look at a breakdown of the term to arrive at the best definition of a custom database application:
- Custom: created or tweaked to meet the requirements of a unique request or process
- Database: a data storage structure that is, in the case of Kohezion, located remotely and in the cloud
- Application: an interface and/or design program that allows for the creation and/or administration of the database
Reining in all together we come up with a definition - A custom database application is an application that is used to create, use, and manage an online database that resides in the cloud.
An example of a custom database application would be Kohezion.
What kind of applications can I create?
With the help of custom database design platforms, anyone can easily create robust and efficient software solutions. They can help small-to-medium businesses (SMBs) with:
- Resource planning and management
- Human Capital Management (HCM)
- Customer relations management (CRM)
- Project Management
- Scheduling and productivity tracking
- Time Management
- Information and education
The sky is the limit when it comes to apps that can be built.
What are the advantages of web application software?
Perhaps the best advantage that an SMB – which is still stuck with using spreadsheets – can get out of making a move to a custom database application is that they will be able to get all the advantages they had been getting from their old applications plus a lot more.
Let’s have a look:
- Portability: A web application software is basically a single bundle of written code that can be shared globally and accessed from anywhere in the world – businesses using them can become instant global players
- Ease of use: Clients connecting to an SMB’s database will only need a browser and, of course, an Internet connection – that is all it takes to get the best out of the software solutions
- Cross-device capabilities: It makes no difference what gadget or device is used to access the web application software as it is machine-independent – clients and customers using a smartphone will have the same advantages as others using their laptops
- Data streamlining: Data redundancy and storage on multiple devices is avoided as everything is done on the webserver and then stored on a central database – the SMB will have control over its data and won’t have to face the chaos that comes with independent spreadsheets
- Cost-effectiveness: There is no need to waste money on the upkeep of web and database servers because it is cheaper (and much more secure) to let the professionals handle it all – online database software companies have made it their bread-and-butter when it comes to working with servers, why not let them do all the hard work?
When is a good time to adopt it?
It goes without saying that somewhere along the line, and as SMBs continue to grow, they will need to evolve their processes and all the tools – software solutions included – that support them. But, it would be best if they were able to recognize the symptoms indicating it was time to make that leap.
Such signs include:
- There is an interest in wanting to reach out to a wider audience or a global customer base and, especially, to reel in new clients that connect to the Internet using their mobile devices – which is over 60 percent of all online users today – MS Excel and Google Sheets are great programs but they would be a huge drawback if they were to be dragged into such a big arena
- Data consolidation is required as the business’ data is all over the place – there will be too many balls in the air when data is stored on multiple spreadsheets that are found on various individual computer drives and other storage devices
- The business’ data size is ballooning rapidly and can no longer be accommodated by even the best of spreadsheet applications on the market today – and even when they do, these applications run too slow or the inter-linking data is full of broken links which affect the reliability of the overall information they provide
- Human error in data input and processing has also become too common, and yet unavoidable because there are just too many separate entities to work with when performing simple tasks like extracting a report
- Manually uploading, processing, and retrieving data has become such a cumbersome process that assigned employees to dread having to extract any compiled information – this, in fact, makes it the ideal time to automate the whole data processing process
- Everyone from the top management down to the end-user needs reports which are up-to-date and accurate, timely, and correct – something that would be very hard to achieve with a collection of independent spreadsheets
At the very least, it makes sense that any business would try to modernize its business process to remain competitive and better serve its clients. Adopting new technologies like custom application software will always serve as a leg-up to beat the competition while impressing potential clients.