Last updated on February 26th, 2024 at 06:59 am
Contractor management software has emerged as an essential tool for keeping track of contracts, ensuring compliance, and improving productivity. According to a study, 90% of businesses report improved productivity due to the use of contractor management software.
Whether you lead a small-scale establishment or command a large corporation, this software, tailored to your unique requirements, can transform your whole contract management process.
Why Do You Need Contractor Management Software?
The ability to effectively manage and track the operational processes involving contractors has become a pivotal factor in executing successful projects. The reason is, that proper contractor management plays a critical role in minimizing risks, enhancing productivity, and most importantly ensuring regulatory compliance. This underscores the necessity for modern businesses to integrate robust contractor management solutions in their operations.
Why is this so? These platforms are armed with robust features that aid in accurately tracking project progress and systematically managing compliance issues – two aspects intrinsic to the growth of any business.
Contractor Management Software Advantages
Contractor management software brings a plethora of advantages to the table. Be aware of a few things:
- Accurate Project Tracking: This type of software allows businesses to track metrics such as project completion rates, project hours logged by a contracted worker, equipment and material costs, and more. As a result, you can gain a clear picture of how a project is progressing in real time.
- Qualified Contractors: Contractor management software makes it incredibly easy to verify contractor documents, certifications, and work experiences. This enables businesses to put the right contractors to work faster.
- Manage Multiple Projects Simultaneously: Contractor management solutions are designed to handle multiple projects and scheduling jobs. This not only reduces the downtime between projects but also gets more work completed. The user can adjust schedules quickly and easily assign work orders to contractors.
- Centralized Platform: This software provides a one-stop platform for all contractor-related information, making it easy to track contractor performance, manage contracts, and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Time-Saving: The software automates many of the time-consuming tasks associated with contractor management and frees up valuable time for businesses to focus on core operations.
- Payment Management: These solutions will streamline the way you pay contractors, reducing paperwork, and ensuring all work is properly compensated. It connects the timesheets, time tracking, and project progress to calculate the contractor’s pay, thus providing an accurate overview of the labor costs.
How to Choose the Best General Contractors Management Software
Choosing the best general contractor management software may seem challenging due to the vast number of options available. Consider the following factors to make an informed decision:
- Features: Choose a software that offers features that align with your business needs, such as contract management, compliance checks, project tracking, and payment processing.
- Ease of Use: User-friendliness and intuitiveness are key. Navigating the software should be effortless so as not to waste time or cause frustration.
- Scalability: Choose a software that is capable of growing your business. It should handle an increasing number of contractors as your business expands.
- Customer Support: Exceptional customer service is a must. Choose a software provider that offers prompt and effective support when you encounter issues.
- Price: Always consider your budget before making a decision. However, avoid compromising quality for cost. Look for software that offers good value for your investment.
- Integration: Opt for software that integrates well with your existing programs. It will enhance your workflow and help maintain consistency across platforms.
Top 10 Best Contractor Management Systems To Use Next Year
Here we have compiled a list of best contractor management software that will help you improve your project management, increase ROI, and grow your business overall.
Kohezion is a highly customizable, cloud-based contractor management solution built for businesses of all sizes. As one of the leading contractor management software tools for 2024, Kohezion provides a comprehensive suite of features designed to streamline project management.
- Custom Database: Customize online databases with an easy-to-use interface, with no coding necessary.
- Task Management: Manage, track, and organize any number of tasks efficiently.
- Granular Permission Settings: Control who has access to what information, improving confidentiality and data security.
- Integrations: Seamlessly integrate with popular tools for a cooperative and interconnected workspace.
Whether you're a small business owner who needs to keep track of contractor payments or a large enterprise looking for ways to boost efficiency, Kohezion is a solid choice. With a contractor management software pricing model starting at $150/mo, Kohezion offers excellent value for your money.
Bridgit Bench, a premier workforce management software, is recognized as a particularly favored solution by general contractors. Its robust suite of features makes it a valuable tool at every stage of project management. Bridgit Bench has recently updated its remote workforce management tools, including quarantine tracking and other safety features, making it a go-to choice in the current environment.
- Workforce Planning: Bridgit's resource planning analytics allow for efficient planning and utilization of your workforce.
- Quality Tracking: Keep track of quality and punch list items, ensuring all jobs are executed up to standard.
- Visual Analytics: Highly visual analytics and custom reporting help to obtain real-time insights about your project's progress.
- Mobile App: Bridgit Bench also comes with a mobile app to accommodate remote task management.
Facilitating smooth project management, ClickUp has rapidly surged to prominence as an all-in-one contractor management tool for businesses of all sizes. It merges the needs for CRM, project management, and team collaboration with notable ease.
- Versatile Project Tracking: More than just task management, ClickUp enables time tracking, sets estimates, produces detailed reports, and allows note addition from any location.
- Ready-Made Templates: Kickstart your projects with ClickUp's vast library of over 1,000 templates. We recommend the ClickUp Resource Management People template for an efficient contractor management system.
- Centralized Dashboard: Integrations with over 1,000 popular tools, including QuickBooks and Slack, consolidate all your work onto one dashboard.
- Customization: Alter project timelines, timesheets, notifications, and even onboarding processes with ease.
- Device Compatibility: Compatible with any device, ClickUp offers ease of access from anywhere, anytime.
An obvious mention is ClickUp AI, which provides added insights and further streamlines project management. You can add it to any ClickUp paid plan to take advantage of the feature.
Ventus by Vertical Market Software is a product developed by Vertical Market Software and stands as a robust enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that simplifies general contractor business operations. Although the user interface may lack the sleekness of other programs, Ventus holds its ground as one of the most favored among general contractor business software programs due to its myriad of features.
- Comprehensive Functionality: Integrating CRM, Inventory Control, Purchase Order, Scheduling, Time Cards, and much more in one software.
- Versatile ERP Solution: Assists in managing your business from lead generation to cash flow, providing better insight for decision-making.
- Customizable: It can be tailored to your business needs to maximize its utilization for your unique business operations.
Although Ventus is a bit on the pricey side with a one-time cost of $5,000 per user, its comprehensive features and advantages make it well worth the investment. Venutus has proven its value in the industry and remains a popular choice.
A resourceful tool, Lusha shines in the realm of B2B prospecting and recruitment. It stands apart from conventional contractor management solutions as a unique sales intelligence platform and recruiter's aid.
- Effective Recruitment: Lusha provides a pool of qualified candidates, making your hires less expensive and time-consuming.
- Sales Intelligence: Lusha can provide insights into companies potentially interested in your services, making it a powerful tool for B2B operations.
- Easy Onboarding: With Lusha, you can simplify your onboarding processes and set up new recruits without wasting time.
- Maintains a Fresh Database: Automated CRM updates ensure you're always working with the most current data.
- Compliance Support: It helps you stay on top of evolving security and privacy regulations to avoid compliance issues.
For pricing, Lusha offers a free plan with limited usage (5 credits per month) and three paid plans starting from $39/month per user.
Fieldwire is a construction field management software solution, ideal for small to large construction teams. With Fieldwire, your team can coordinate efficiently and collaborate in real time. This highly-rated software is particularly excellent for architects, contractors, and designers.
- Task Assignments: You can assign tasks to team members, and receive real-time push notifications.
- Customizable Forms: Allows you to create custom forms tailored to your project needs.
- Mobile-Friendly: View your drawings on both iOS and Android devices.
- Integrated Project Management Tools: Supports Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and calendar view for effective project management.
However, a limitation worth mentioning is that it can assign only one user to a task. Other users are labeled as watchers, and the free plan is limited to five users without custom statuses. Fieldwire's pricing includes four plans: Basic (Free), Pro ($44/month per member), Business ($64/month per member), and Premier ($104/month per member).
BuilderTrend is a comprehensive, cloud-based project management solution that is specifically designed for residential construction companies. It is packed with robust features that help contractors manage resources and complete projects on time with efficiency.
- Time and Expense Tracking: Assist in managing labor and project costs effectively.
- Advanced Reporting: Generates detailed reports to provide insights into your business operations.
- Customer Portal: A centralized hub, providing client access to their ongoing projects.
- Project and Milestone Tracking: Stay on top of your project and track its progress in real time.
However, some users have noted that the user interface (UI) can become glitchy and cumbersome at times. BuilderTrend offers three pricing plans; Essential ($99/month for first two months, then $399/month), Advanced ($399/month for first two months, then $699/month), and Complete ($899/month for first two months, then $1,299/month).
8. Autodesk Construction Cloud
Autodesk Construction Cloud is a leading 3D design, engineering, and construction management platform. With its eye on improving collaboration, efficiency, and business outcomes, Autodesk Construction Cloud is suited for general contractors, specialty trades, designers, and owners.
- Robust Feature Set: Offers a wide range of functionalities and streamlines the construction process.
- Excellent Collaboration Tools: Allows multiple stakeholders to work together seamlessly.
- Centralizes Project Data: Facilitates real-time collaboration, enhancing efficiency, and communication.
Despite these strengths, some users have noted issues with Autodesk's desktop connector syncing, which can impact the team's workflow. Autodesk Construction Cloud's pricing plans are mainly on request. However, the impressive list of features, excellent performance history, and the strong reputation of the Autodesk brand make it a worthwhile investment.
9. QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online is a cloud-based accounting solution that makes financial management easier for general contractors. Designed by Intuit, QuickBooks Online is one of the most reliable financial management tools around, saving you valuable time on bookkeeping, reporting, and financial management.
- Multi-device Access: Work from your desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone at your convenience.
- Automated Invoicing and Billing: Automate your invoicing and billing to save time and avoid potential errors.
- Synched Bank Accounts: Synchronizing your bank accounts to QuickBooks Online makes transaction management easy and straightforward.
- Secure Data Protection: Assures data safety with automatic backups and robust security measures.
- Tax Management: Simplifies tax preparation and ensures you're tax-ready at all times.
Despite its numerous strengths, some users express the desire for more customization options. QuickBooks Online offers four pricing tiers: Simple Start ($25/month), Essentials ($40/month), Plus ($70/month), and Advanced ($150/month).
Jobber tops our list as a comprehensive workforce management system software designed to help service businesses improve their operations. With a user-friendly interface, robust scheduling, dispatching features, efficient invoicing, and client and team management tools, Jobber stands out as a true asset for businesses.
- Real-Time Scheduling: Allows teams to reach the right place at the right time.
- Job Tracking Features: Keep track of job details and update them from the field with notes, photos, or file attachments.
- Client Hub: A self-serve online hub where clients can approve quotes, check appointment details, and pay invoices.
- Efficient Invoicing: Streamlines payment processes and helps businesses get paid faster.
Although some users have reported occasional glitches and a desire for more extensive customization, Jobber receives high praise overall. Jobber's pricing starts at $29/month, making it both affordable and valuable.
Improve Your Automation Processes with Kohezion
While there's a multitude of superb options available in 2024 for contractor management, Kohezion makes a strong case as a top choice. It's a highly customizable solution that caters to businesses of all sizes, designed to streamline contractor management with an expansive suite of features. The ability to manage and track tasks of any number efficiently, combined with its integrative capabilities, makes Kohezion hard to ignore.
In the end, contractor management is a critical part of most companies, and implementing the right software system can truly elevate your ability to manage and collaborate with contractors effectively and efficiently. Whether you're a small business owner looking to manage contractor expenses or a large enterprise aiming to enhance efficiency, Kohezion offers an excellent starting point. However, conduct your own research and pick a tool that best suits your specific business needs. Schedule a demo today!
Start building with a free account
Frequently Asked Questions
Contractor management software is a digital tool designed to manage and streamline relationships with contractors effectively. It simplifies the entire contractor management process, from onboarding to compliance checks, project management, and payment processing.
This software serves as a centralized platform to store and access all contractor-related information, eliminating the hassle of juggling multiple programs or documents. Furthermore, enhanced features such as digital contracts, automated renewal reminders, in-depth reporting tools, and compliance checks make contractor management platforms a vital tool in managing and monitoring the entire contractor lifecycle.
However, the most significant advantage brought by contractor management software is the automation of time-consuming tasks, freeing up valuable time for businesses to focus on their core operations.
Irrespective of the size or sector of your business, if you work with external contractors, contractor management software can bring significant value. Here are a few reasons why you might need it:
Efficient Management: Contractor management software simplifies the entire cycle of contractor management - from hiring and onboarding to project assignment, tracking, and payment processing.
Compliance and Risk Management: It allows you to stay on top of compliance requirements, ensuring all your contractors meet these standards while helping you mitigate risk.
Centralizes Information: The software integrations serve as a single source of truth for all contractor-related information, helping eliminate data silos and streamlining communication.
Saves Time and Increases Productivity: The software automates time-consuming administrative tasks saves you valuable time and allows you to focus on more strategic tasks.
Enhanced Reporting and Analytics: Most software offers robust reporting tools, providing beneficial insights into contractor performance, and helping you to make data-driven decisions.
Yes, most contractor management software solutions now offer multi-device support. In the age of remote work and on-the-go business operations, having software that operates across multiple devices like laptops, tablets, and smartphones is crucial.
This cross-device functionality allows team members to track progress, update project details, and communicate in real time, regardless of their location. The level of accessibility can vary, however. While some software platforms have fully functional mobile applications, others might only offer mobile-friendly web pages.