Today, we find ourselves in a time where businesses seek to be self-reliant as they look for ways to cut tighten their IT budget purse strings as well as rid themselves of their dependence on other service providers – especially expensive IT support companies. Others prefer to get rid of licensed relational database software solutions, like Microsoft SQL Server, which could turn out to be costly when big data is in play, and go the open-source databases way.
Many have found that a good way to do this is by developing as many in-house capabilities as possible, usually using open source database design and management software tools. A good example here would be the ability to use relational database software to create a secure and reliable database management system without the need of technology experts – as would be the case in running Microsoft SQL Server – or relying on open source database management software.
Ok, but what is online database software?
The basic definition of online database software would be:
“A suite of database management and designing tools is a collection of programs that are used to design, develop, implement, and then manage high-performance relational databases or database systems – and requires no query language know-how needed to perform it all.”
Ideally, online database software help administrators – from the inception of the relational database, designing, and planning, all the way through to the launch and administration of their new databases. They can also incorporate database management and data processing features to their web applications allowing for the use of real-time reports, graphs, maps, audit trails, historical data forensics, and password protection features, for example.
Imagine trying to do that with Microsoft SQL Server, and you will get the picture.
The key benefit here is that the database software tools – open source or otherwise – would be cutting costs and time required to have a custom application designed by external developers.
If designed well, the resulting relational databases should be able to:
- Hold all or part of a businesses’ data without compromising on accuracy or accessibility of the data
- High performance read/write execution – relational databases like Microsoft SQL Server rapidly become slower as the network and processes get complicated
- Perform complex calculations (on any data types) – whether hardcoded within the design or in real-time – as per the design requirements without hanging or crashing
- Enable administrators to create a custom relational database management software or data input, retrieval, and real-time reporting dashboard – with the need to get certified (a la Microsoft SQL Server)
- Allow and cater to simultaneous access from a large number of users – irrespective of their location – without compromising on the data service time
- Import or export any data types from/to legacy, open-source, or premium relational databases (like Microsoft SQL Server)
What makes the best database software so?
What would make relational database software the best tools for the task? Well, it would need to have most (or all) of the following attributes:
- Ease of use, so even citizen developers can create database management solutions – without the need to study a query language – that cater to all their processes
- Resulting in robust data storage solutions that can handle big data and complex business processes
- Result in databases that pass various certifications and qualifications and meet compliances like HIPAA
- Ability to create complete database management software solutions – both frontend and backend – without the need to use additional third-party solutions
- The ability to create secure user interface forms that keep data integrity, accuracy, and security during read/write operations
- Drag-and-drop designing is the way to go; the best database management software tools use low-code designing to get a database system up and running in a short time
- Ability to import data from any source – whatever the legacy system may be – but especially from spreadsheets, open-source databases (like PostgreSQL, MySQL) as well as premium ones (like Microsoft SQL Server)
- Real-time reports that show the current status of data at any time of the day
- Creating databases and database management solutions that are accessible from anywhere in the world – basically, a cloud database that can be designed using a cloud-based database creation software, i.e. SaaS
- Great customer service and training to help their users when things go awry
- A cost-effective price tag that won’t break the bank – think Microsoft SQL Server – especially, if using an open-source tool
What are the best database software?
With that in mind, let’s go ahead and have a look at some of the best database management and creation software solutions on the market:
Kohezion offers a low-code (no complex query language lessons required) database management software and design platform. It is a business solution that allows users to easily transform their data from simple spreadsheet entries into populations of robust, secure, and high-tech relational database systems.
A rather unique feature would be that Kohezion is an online web application builder that actually works using a database management system. This database software and designing platform come with a drag-and-drop app builder which helps citizen developers quickly create custom web apps that can address requirements like:
- Handling client information, contacts, tasks, and schedules, or link them together for an end-to-end solution
- Sharing data and information as the platform supports collaboration
- Built-in collaboration tools where teams can share files, post comments, display powerful database management system dashboards for easy remote administration
- An interactive database in the back and a secure web-based user interface application that is easy to customize running in the front, facing the clients
- Ability to import data with a few clicks – be it from spreadsheets, Microsoft SQL Server, or other open-source database tools
- Generating real-time reports, linking documents from Dropbox, sharing tasks, and more
Kohezion also offers a turnkey feature where the database software itself uses pre-designed templates to help create applications. Once done, users can customize their new databases according to their specific needs.
Finally, the company offers one-on-one training to its users on its database software and has around-the-clock support.
Enjoy a 14-day best FREE database design trial from Kohezion.
Knack uses its extensive experience of helping companies build their custom database management software solutions to create templates that new users can quickly adapt and use for their new database projects and other web applications that go with them. This makes it easy for even new database designers to build and deploy fully-functional databases in a short time and soon view their reports in real-time.
Examples of their design templates include job portals, store locators, and project management software solutions. It can easily be integrated with other cloud applications like MailChimp, DropBox, and Google Drive.
Try their best FREE database account, and take Knack for a test drive.
Caspio too offers a cloud-based database management software and designing, a platform that has ready-to-go templates for web applications that use cloud databases in the back.
Users simply click and drag features into their forms to quickly create applications without the need for writing a single line of code – from start to real-time reports. Better yet, they also offer a wide selection of “Instant Apps” that can be implemented with ease.
Apart from the database software, they also offer a robust cloud infrastructure and expert support.
Try Caspio; create the best FREE database you have ever seen.
The TeamDesk cloud database management system creation software is platform-independent because all that is required to use it is a web browser.
Users can create public or private databases quickly and throw in additional features like error logs, email notifications, subscriptions, and reminders for various use cases.
It is easy to create databases using this creation software because they too have a wide selection of database management software templates that can be used to get the project off the ground in a short time.
Start building best FREE database with TeamDesk.
Quick Base is a cloud-based database management system creation platform. It offers many kinds of web applications that can help businesses improve their internal processes as well as ameliorate relations with their customers. It is an easy tool to use when creating solutions for project management, customer relations management (CRM), real time consumer reports or other client-related service solutions.
Sign up for a 30-day, best FREE database trial of Quick Base.
Citizen developers can use this database software to create powerful data-driven applications using Zengine. They can use templates or start from scratch using their drag-and-drop forms builder. Alternatively, they can simply create their databases, and database management systems, around the structure of the data they have imported from spreadsheets.
Schedule the best FREE database demo from Zengine.
Applications and database management solutions that can be built using this database creation software include those used for project management, issue tracking, CRM, and much more. Being a cloud solution, it makes it easy for users to collaborate online using their new applications and real time reports.
Try Fusioo; best FREE database – for 14 days, at least.
The Zoho Creator database management and creation software comes from one of the biggest players in the online collaboration and systems management software market.
This means, users can not only use the database software to create their own online database applications using templates, but also integrate them with their vast array of solutions – as well as other open source databases, Microsoft SQL Server or third-party applications like Twilio, PayPal, and Zapier – to further enhance productivity.
Sign up for a 15-day, best FREE database trial of Zoho Creator.
Use the best database software tools for your custom high-performance databases
All these database management and deployment software have the capability to help a business build its own high performance, customized web applications.
Kohezion offers flexible, easy-to-use, and customized solutions that create robust solutions for a wide array of tasks. Quick Base and Knack would be more suitable for businesses looking to create larger database management solutions for big data. While Zoho Creator and Caspio would be the choice for the more technically-knowledgeable user as they allow for a higher degree of customizability.
Do you find all this talk about database software a bit confusing? No worries; we can help you create your custom online database solution and make the move from Microsoft SQL Server, legacy databases, spreadsheets, or open-source databases.
Contact us today and realize all your web application ambitions today.