Small businesses need to keep their data secure – there’s no question about it. In a world of e-commerce using mobile apps, this is a must. When clients are asked for their personal and financial information, they expect it to be kept safe from prying eyes.
The ideal storage location would preferably be a cloud-based relational database software that can only be accessed by the people who are authorized to do so. And, this is where an easy database creator for small businesses comes into play.
By definition, small businesses don’t have the budget to implement complex database software systems. They can’t afford to hire computer experts to develop an in-house database app or storage solution that meets their unique requirements.
It, therefore, makes sense to use an easy database creator to resolve the issue at a low cost, without cutting any corners, and without compromising the security of their clients’ (or their own) data.
What is an easy database creator?
The basic definition of an easy database creator would be an online database builder application or platform that is used to design, create, deploy, and then manage a database that is also cloud-based.
Ideally, it would be a free online database builder that handles the task from layout design up to creating a secure user interface for customers or clients – as well as their own administrators – and which can be accessed using mobile apps.
But, even if the online database builder were to cost money, the return on investment (ROI) is high and, thus, worth it, considering the risks it would help avoid.
Why small businesses need to avoid closed database builders
Now, when we say that a small business needs to adopt a relational database builder which allows them to create their own data storage solutions, it is because the alternative could be a deterrent to their data storage strategy.
- Third-party s solutions might not be able to address all their data storage requirements – now, while it is advisable to adhere to “industry standards” and adopt the proven ways of doing things, there may be a case where that is just not possible. Perhaps, the small business has processes that is unique to it and that no single database solution could address (without having custom database software or application deployed to parse the data, for example).
- In case the makers of the third-party database builder were to offer to customize their database’s storage to accommodate the small business’ unique data storage requirements, it would most certainly come with a hefty price tag. Every expert they assigned to tweak the premium database software would cost a pretty penny.
- We all know how expensive corporate licenses are when it comes to premium database builders, especially that of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems. During the entire lifetime of the database solution, there will be a bill for license renewals and software upgrades while the hardware maintenance cost will continue to grow as time goes by – this is especially true if it is an on-premises installation. Besides, why would a business want to shell out unnecessary expenses when free online database software solutions could perform just as well – or even better?
- And then even when businesses have paid license prices – which are sometimes exorbitant – they are bound by many copyright rules and laws that they can’t even modify a simple data field or customize a process without running the risk of a lawsuit.
- Also, let’s not forget that these companies don’t usually sell a single module. A small business would need to buy the whole package which means they would have to pay for modules they wouldn’t even use.
Because of these – and many more reasons – a business will get stuck with data storage systems that won’t even accommodate their unique processes.
What’s worse, no matter how creative their staff may be, they won’t be able to contribute to the improvement of the data storage and retrieval processes for fear of copyright infringement or some other legal pitfall.
How an easy database creator helps your business
On the other hand, moving to an easy database creator will contribute to the growth of a business. Let’s see how:
- There’s the word “easy” in there – that’s right; having an online database design solution that everyone can work on will be a popular, productive tool. This will encourage citizen developers to come up with solutions for any problems they may be facing in the business.
- The business owns everything – creating something means the creator owns all of it. Thus, a business that creates a custom database using an easy online database creator will be the owner of said database. They will administer it as they see fit.
- Reduced costs – it cuts costs when a relational database is created in-house and administered by someone that works in the business. Add to it the fact that the online database resides, well, online it also means there are no costs when it comes to hardware devices.
- Tighter security – only the administrator, or whomever else they allow to do so, will have access to the data. They won’t need to worry about someone else prying into their data. All they need to do is implement data encryption – both at rest and in-transit – to make sure their data is secure.
What are the features of an ideal, easy database creator?
Now, let’s see what the features of ideal database creation software solutions are:
- Low-code – gone are the days when a database designer needed a degree in Computer Science, or crazy programming skills, just to navigate an application’s menu. Easy database creation software solutions can only be easy if they use low-code, drag and drop actions, to build complex, fully-functional, cloud-hosted relational database systems.
- Easy to learn and easy to master – an easy database creator lets database designers start creating their data storage solutions immediately.
- Real-time reporting – the database creation tool shows changes in the data it is storing as soon as it happens, in real-time. It also allows for the creation of reports that are also updated in real-time.
- Mobile friendly – whether it is when designing a relational database or, later, when accessing or administering it, a database application should be accessible via mobile apps.
- Price – free would be ideal; but, if the database creation software manages to save money for the business, it could still be worth paying money to leverage it.
- Support and forums – a database creator company that offers timely, round-the-clock support means it takes its customers seriously; if it has a large online community or forum where their clients can share their experiences about using the database creator, it implies it is a popular solution.
But, more importantly, the relational databases they create must be:
- Easy to migrate data into – they must be able to import data using more common file formats, like Microsoft Excel, as a bridge.
- Capable of storing large amounts of data – today’s business processes are data-intensive which means the database in the back should be able to hold it all.
- Able to perform complex processing – these same processes have also become substantially complicated over the years meaning the databases need to store and retrieve data at faster rates. Failure to do so could result in hang-ups, website crashes, and lost sales.
- Secure and cloud-hosted – there is no point in having a database application or system that can’t keep its content secure. A good database builder application will ensure data security.
Use an easy database creator, get rid of legacy systems
Every small business should use an easy database creator to move away from any legacy data storage and processing system they may currently be using.
While they may be comfortable using them today, things will change over time. For offline data storage solutions like Excel and CSV keeping track of who has what data and which is the latest version will soon start to annoy people.
Those that use legacy database solutions will also soon find that the companies that made them no longer offer updates or even support them.
The number of software, applications, and operating systems that are compatible quickly dwindle until it becomes a stand-alone, legacy database system that requires an intermediary solution to parse its data before it can be used by mobile apps or other internal and external systems. Instead of helping, this database system will become a drain on a business.
As part of their project management strategy, a business should look for a custom solution to their unique database problems instead of having to be held back by existing limitations. As a matter of fact, testing various database scenarios using database creation software solutions should be a part of their project management campaign; that way, new horizons can be explored.
If you find yourself in a similar position, we will be glad to help analyze your data, create a database, and guide your move into the cloud. Contact us today, and we can immediately start making plans to move you away from your legacy databases and systems.