Using an Excel Online database is a good choice to manage numbers and formulas. But when it comes to managing business data such as clients, tasks, or meetings, it may not be the best solution.
If you want to make the best use of your data, choosing the right tool is critical.
To collect, analyze, and share your organization’s information, we think online database software is a much better option.
In this article, I’ll explain the pros and cons of using an Excel database to manage business data, the advantages of switching from Excel database to online database, and I’ll give you a quick visual tour of how easy it is to create a database with Excel as your data source.
Excel Database: Pros and Cons
Microsoft Excel database files are useful for creating simple tables or spreadsheets based on numbers and formulas. When considering data management options, take into account these pros and cons of Excel database:
Pros of Excel Database
- It is best used for calculations and statistical purposes.
- It is best for data analysis.
- It’s a great solution for quick, one-time use such as expense reports.
- Its rows and columns format is easy to understand when creating your spreadsheet.
- It is an affordable solution, albeit a temporary one.
- It is perfect for a single user.
Cons of Excel Database
- It is not the best choice for data management.
- It is difficult to collaborate on the same document and to keep an updated version circulating within a team, which makes it a major drawback in the modern business environment where collaboration and data sharing is a necessity.
- It is difficult to avoid human error during data entry; it is also hard to maintain data integrity as spreadsheets get passed around.
- It will flag errors if cells or rows are left empty.
- It is hard to master formulas and use it properly.
- The data is difficult to summarize when presented in a spreadsheet.
- It is difficult to create pivot tables.
Online Database Software and Database Applications
When businesses are implementing optimal data management, they prefer online database software to Excel databases.
It allows the design of database applications to manage all business data under the same roof. It is a reliable, customizable, and sustainable enterprise solution.
Here is an extended list of the advantages of using such a product:
Data Management Solution
- It is the best tool for data management.
- It can be used for text or numbers.
- It allows different types of data within the same application and offers different types of fields.
Secure Managed Environment
- The data and database are kept encrypted and securely in the cloud.
- All hardware, software updates, and maintenance are handled by experts.
- Backups ensure data is never lost even when disaster strikes.
- An expert support team ensures short downtime and quick turnaround times in case of issues.
Create your Own Apps
- It permits the creation of multiple custom applications that the blueprints of your projects may require.
- All the applications, projects, and items are stored in the same account.
- It offers drag and drop application creation.
- Data can be viewed in grids, calendars, or pivot tables with just one easy click.
- There are no formulas to master – nor any programming to do – to build your applications.
- All accounts include extensive features like customizable dashboards, reports, one-to-many relationships, security settings, and so much more!
Import and Export Data
- It is quick and easy to import pre-existing data: create a database with Excel – in xlsx, xls sheets – or from flat files in csv format, for example.
- Thousands of rows and columns can be imported into your account, including linked items.
- Data can be exported anytime into csv format files.
Collaboration in the Cloud
- It allows seamless online collaboration within your team – wherever in the world they may be.
- Your data is stored safely and securely in the cloud.
- Users can update correct data anywhere, and anytime, with data parameters, types, and formats enforced at all times.
Import your Excel Database into Kohezion
If you started managing your data with Excel, you may think switching to a better solution will be a difficult endeavor, but it’s quite simple. Once you’re ready to create a database application in your Kohezion account, clean up your Excel spreadsheet and import it into Kohezion.
If you have just one or a few spreadsheets to import, it’s a simple and easy DIY task to create a database with Excel. If you have bigger or multiple Excel databases you would like to migrate to Kohezion, get in touch, you’ll be surprised how fast and affordable our turnkey solutions are.
We’re here to help, don’t be shy; contact us now!